New Glarus Swiss Onion Pie
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pie crust
- 1 cup onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 Large Blue Sky Family Farms Free-Range or Pasture-Raised Eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup half-and-half (light cream)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line pie shell with heavy duty foil and bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes until pastry is set; remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. In a medium skillet, sauté onion in butter over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until tender and just beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. In small bowl, toss Swiss cheese with flour. Combine onion, eggs and cheese mixtures. Pour filling into warm pie shell, sprinkle with additional nutmeg and bake 30 to 35 minutes until set, browned and puffy. Shield edges of crust with foil, if necessary, to prevent over-browning. Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.