Herbed Egg Crepes with Ricotta and Arugula Salad
Ingredients - Egg Crepes
- 6 Blue Sky Family Farms eggs
- ¼ c milk
- 4 green onions (scallions), minced
- ½ c mixed fresh herbs such as flat leaf parsley thyme and tarragon, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 t olive oil, plus more as needed
Ingredients - Filling and Garnish:
- 1 c whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 green onions, minced
- 3 T finely grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 t minced fresh thyme
- ¼ c olive oil, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 3 c baby arugula, kale or mixed greens
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ c coarsely chopped toasted and salted pistachios or toasted almonds or pine nuts
To make the crepes, in a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, green onions, mixed herbs and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Beat with a fork to blend.
Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 t olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium. Add one-fourth of the egg mixture, tipping the pan to spread the eggs evenly. Cook until the top of the crepe is set, tipping the pan, and spreading the uncooked egg to the edges, 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Slide the crepe onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining egg mixture, adding more olive oil to the pan as needed and forming 4 crepes total.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, two-thirds of the green onions, the pecorino cheese, thyme and 1 T of the olive oil. Season the filling to taste with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and mustard. Gradually whisk in 3 T of the olive oil and the remaining green onions to make a dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread one-fourth of the ricotta-herb mixture over half of each egg crepe. Fold each crepe in half over the filling, and then fold in half again, forming fan shapes. Place the crepes in the oven and cook until the filling is warm, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the kale and radishes in a salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Add the nuts and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Arrange 2 filled crepes on each plate. Mound the dressed salad alongside and serve immediately.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma Weeknight Gluten Free by Kristine Kidd (Weldon Owen, 2013)